Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Bad Habit

I have a bad Weight Watcher's habit. I go, weigh-in, and then I treat weigh-in day like it is the last day before a diet starts. I eat crazy stuff that I never want or eat because 'I may never have a chance to have it, again.' Case in point. Yesterday I made alfredo sauce and put it over whole wheat pasta. I have had alfredo sauce a sum total of four times in my life. Just not a fan. I wanted something creamy and I thought that I would give it a try. I only ate a small portion because my stomach said, "No, thank you." However, earlier in the day I made cookies for a friend and ate two plus about two cookies of dough. Then, after the alfredo, I was craving ice cream so I went to the shop on the corner and got two scoops.

What in the world?! I called a friend and I semi-confessed. She said, "You are obviously craving something else and these creamy foods are filling that void." It's so true. I have been so lonely this holiday season. I have not been alone but I have a desire to be married and have children...and it just isn't happening. I was fine most of the holiday but something about the New Year brings it on in full effect. So, I have a bad habit and when it was coupled with unchecked emotions, I ate like a crazy woman.

Is there an upside? Yes. First, I recognize this as a bad habit and I am going to nip it in the bud. I'm exploring the issue and will learn from it. I think part of the issue has to do with the crazy deprivation the two days before weigh-in to get the best result on the scale. If I even out my eating and sprinkle treats throughout the week, I won't feel so crazy on weigh-in day and have a mini-binge. The second upside is this. My crazy days aren't half as bad as they used to be. I would have bought a gallon of ice cream and had several bowls. I would have recruited a friend to go to a restaurant where I would have consumed three times as many calories as what was in the alfredo. I would have eaten six cookies - feeling sick but still shoveling them in. My body is slowly adjusting to a healthier lifestyle. If I can even out my eating and really attack this as a lifestyle, I think I can go to the next level.

This morning I woke-up and had smoked salmon (very low in calories but high in good stuff), a laughing cow, 1 pt. english muffin, and coffee. I am back to posting pictures and will post a day at a time at the end of the day. Just what you wanted, right?

Do you have any bad habits you are clinging to that would serve you well to explore?

1 comment:

  1. Bethy, I really know how you feel. I eat to fill a void a lot. Most of the time I eat "out of control" is because I am #1 Unhappy or #2 Happy. Does that make sense? You will find a man girl. How could you not, you are gorgeous and sassy and seem like an awesome person. It will happen for you. There is someone out there for everyone, right? :) Sending you good vibes in 2010!!!

    ReplyDelete