Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cool Whip

Yesterday was one of those days. I made the choice to go out to lunch instead of eating what I brought and everything seemed to go down hill from there. Have you had those days when your well-laid plan becomes road kill? I have no idea why. I just wanted to do something different. I am choosing not to panic or overthink this. I recorded everything and I am moving on.

To top off the day, I ate canned pumpkin mixed with Cool Whip lite and some spices. I enjoyed it but I made the mistake of looking past the calorie count to the ingredient list. "Why hello bowl of High Fructose Corn Syrup. No wonder you taste so good. You have been genetically modified to make me a crazy, sugar-loving freak." This has always been one of my gripes with Weight Watchers. It tends to drive me toward low-point, low-nutrient, highly manufactured foods. Don't get me wrong, fruits and vegetables are the best choices and they are the lowest points, but I seem to get into the, "I can have that processed food for 2 points and I don't feel like I'm dieting."

That seems counterintuitive to the process to me. I do lose weight and that does improve my health but I am not nourished or building healthy patterns. In fact, the damage those processed foods do is sabotaging my long-term goal of health and wholeness. They make me crave more sugar, set me up to binge because I can eat huge quantities for a small number of points, and leave me a jittery mess - completely unsatisified.

I need to remember this. I really need to remember this. One day at a time. One day at a time.

3 comments:

  1. I love pumpkin flavored anything. And I do mean anything. I saw pumpkin egg-nog at the store the other day and had to stuff my hands in my pockets so I wouldn't buy it!

    I have a recipe I got off of another weightloss blog for a pumpkin custard (or at least that is what she is calling it. It is basically the insides of a pumpkin pie - no crust. I made a 9" pie of it last night and it is amazing. It truly tastes like pumpkin pie and 1/4 of the whole pie is only 3 points. It was super simple to make, had very few ingredients (it is a healthified recipe) and I ate it for breakfast. It was the shizznit. I will email you the recipe if you want. I just couldn't find your email on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I feel like a total idiot, I saw your email address as soon as I posted that comment. Whoops. Sending the recipe along! :)

    ReplyDelete