Friday, November 13, 2009

Why?

The psychology of eating fascinates me. Have you ever refused to eat at a place because you got food poisioning there? What about seeing something gross that caused you to stop eating there (a roach on your table, hair in your food, etc.)? Have you stopped eating the last thing you ate before your last stomach flu? For me, it is smoked trout, amaretto flavoring, strawberry Frappucinos and a particular salmon recipe. How are we able to steer clear of these things so easily? What is the psychological connection and why can't I seem to make it with ice cream, cookies, or any other binge-worthy or unhealthy food?

There are times that I feel AWFUL after eating. I get that, "I am way too full and am sick" feeling but I will eat that food again. I thought that maybe it was the level of enjoyment as I ate the food. However, I enjoyed the foods and places that made me sick until I got sick. It was at that point that I did not want them anymore.

There has to be some psychological and physiological trigger that shuts down our desire for a certain food based on experience. Why can't we put that in pill form and take it with our biggest red light foods? We wouldn't want them anymore and so they wouldn't be an issue. Granted, if eating is about more than the food, another food will pop-up to take its place.

These are just the random thoughts I'm having today. Did this make sense?

1 comment:

  1. Your comment on my blog made me laugh.

    But your post here made me think. Good point.

    ReplyDelete